ancient temples, churches, mosques, synagogue
and palaces and above all the birth place
of Sri Sankaracharya provided a great deal
of interest for the archaeologists and historians
in particular and all tourists in general.
The city of Kochi known as the "Queen
of Arbian Sea" has one of the finest
natural harbours in the world. From time immemorial,
Arabas, Chinese, Dutch, British and Portuguese
sea forces followed the sea route to Kochi
and left their indelible impressions on the
palace in Mattancherry was built by the Portuguese,
and presented to the Raja of Cochin in 1555.
Though built by the Portugese, it is popularly
known as the "Dutch Palace", as
the Dutch renovated it during their brief
reign here. The glory of the Palace lies in
the murals which are in the best traditions
of Hindu Temple Art. In the central courtyard
of the palace is the temple dedicated to Pazhayannur
Bhagavathi. In the coronation hall, there
is a display of dresses and Palanquins used
by the rulers of Cochin.
synagogue was built in 1568 A.D. Scrolls of
Old Testament and a number of copper plates
inscribed in the Hebrew Script are preserved
in this Synagogue. The Jewish Synagogue in
Kochi stands out as a testimony for the communal
harmony in the state for centuries.
church was built by the Portuguese in 1510
A.D. It is believed to be the oldest European
Church built in India. Vasco-dA-Gama was burried
here. Fourteen years later, his mortal remains
were taken to Portugal
the entrance to the harbour these nets are
a fascinating sight. They can be seen all
along the backwaters of Kerala. They were
first bought to Kerala by the Chinese traders
from Kubla Khan's court
is a man made island created from earth dredged,
while deepening the Kochi Port. Lord Bristow
was the architect of this island. There are
frequent ferry and bus services from Ernakulam.
The Harbour, Air Port and Harbour Railway
Terminus are in this island.
palace on a narrow stretch of land built by
the Dutch in 1744 is situated here. The building
was once a Governor's Palace for the Dutch
and later a home for British Governors. Now
it has been converted into a hotel by the
K T D C. The Bolgatty Palace Hotel has a commanding
view facing the outlet into the open sea
mangrove forest is a small bird sanctuary,
located in the heart of the town behind the
High Court of Kerala, attracts a large number
is situated on the Durbar Hall Ground on DH
Road, Eranakulam. Collection of 19th Century
oil paintings, old coins, sculptures in stone
and plaster of paris and copies of mural paintings
are exhibited here.
first mosque in India situated 52 Kms. away
from Kochi. It was built in 629 A.D. and resembles
a Hindu Temple in appearance. There are bus
services from Eranakulam.
OF KERALA HISTORY
Kms. from Eranakulam, this museum is a treasure
house of important scenes of Kerala History
from Neolithic age to modern period portrayed
through life-size statues. Recorded commentary
of each scene with sound and light shows is
is situated 12 Kms. away from Eranakulam on
the Eranakulam-Chottanikkara route. It is
the largest archaeological museum of Kerala.
Different types of sculptures, collection
of rare coins, old weapons and collections
from the Cochin Royal Family are exhibited
Fort was built by the Portuguese in 1503.
It is one of the oldest existing European
monoments in India. The Catholic church at
Pallipuram is an important pilgrim centre.
beach at Cherai on Vypeen island is 18 Kms.
away from Vypeen. This is a beautiful and
is the birth place of Adi Sankara the great
Indian philosopher who lived in the 8th century.
It is situated on the banks of river Periyar
and there are two shrines in memory of Sree
Sankaracharya. One dedicated to him as Dakshinamoorthy
and the other to the Goddess Sharada. Adi
Sankara's shrines in Kalady are open to all
pilgrims irrespective of religion or caste.
the slopes of the picturesque Western Ghats,
52 Kms. from Kochi and 8 Kms. from Kalady
is the Malayattoor Church. This is a Christian
pilgrim centre and is believed to have been
blessed by the Apostle of Christ, St. Thomas
and the Church atop the hill was established
in A.D. 900. Malayattoor is accessible by
road up to the foot hills of Kurishumudy.
The church at the top of the hill, about 2
Kms. can be reached only by foot. Situated
beside the Periyar river and a small lake
called Manappattuchira, Malayatoor is also
a place of scenic beauty.
Kms. away from Kalady, there is a ninth century
Jain temple. This temple is cut from a huge
rock and a climb of 120 steps leads to the
lies on the southern bank of Periyar river
amongst the scenic beauty of the High Ranges.
It is 45 Kms. from Kochi city and 12 Kms.
to the east of Perumbavoor town. There is
an elephant taming centre here. Facilities
for elephant ride are provided here. There
is also a mini zoo at Kodanadu.
63 Kms. away from Kochi. There is a dam here
and in the reservoir boating facilities are
provided. The Forest Department provides elephant
rides thorugh the forest to old Bhoothankettu,
which is very interesting.