The Information Public Relations Department (IPRD) is the nodal agency of the Government of Kerala to disseminate information to the public through print and electronic media on government policies, programmes, schemes, initiatives and achievements. It functions as an interface between the government and the public and also serves to provide feedback to the government on people’s reaction as reflected in the media. Information Public Relations Department disseminates information through different modes of communication viz. press releases, press notes, feature articles, photographs, video clippings etc. Information disseminated is mainly in Malayalam to reach out to the target people and almost all newspapers and media organizations in different parts of the State instantaneously. In addition the department organizes press conferences, press briefing, interviews of the ministers/ secretaries and other senior officers on important policy initiatives of the government. The department also organises various developmental / cultural activities for the wide publicity of policies and norms of the government.
Information Public Relations Department has its directorate in government Secretariat, Thiruvananthapuram. It is headed by the Director (Information and Public Relations) who is assisted by two Additional Directors and five Deputy Directors at Headquarters. Besides, there are six Regional Deputy Directors at Kollam, Ernakulam, Kottayam, Kozhikode, Thrissur and Kannur and one at New Delhi to cater to information needs of citizens, regional press and other media. There are 14 District Information Offices and a Kerala Information Centre at New Delhi. District Information Office is headed by the District Information Officer in association with respective District administration and Local Self Government Organisations. In addition to release of publicity material issued from the directorate, these district information offices issue press releases, press notes, photographs etc. whenever an important event is organized by any of the departments or public sector undertakings in a particular region. These district information offices also take up the decisions of the State government which may be of special importance to a particular region for focused publicity through information dissemination on sustained basis.
Information Public Relations Department also runs a Press Release section at Directorate to ensure dissemination of information in addition to normal working hours on weekdays from 8.00 am to 10.00 am and 5.00 pm to 8.00 pm and from 10.00 am to 5.00 pm on weekends and holidays.
Major activities of the department include:
- Publicising the various schemes, policies, programmes and achievements of the government;
- Giving wide publicity to developmental and welfare programmes of the government through print and electronic media;
- Publishing bonafide books on various subjects like culture, education and indigenous art forms;
- Publishing brochures/booklets/handbooks on social and developmental issues;
- Content management of official web portal of Government of Kerala (www.kerala.gov.in), content and technical support for official website of Information and Public Relations Department (www.prd.kerala.gov.in), websites of Ministers, website on Right to Information (www.rti.kerala.gov.in), website exclusively for Sabarimala temple (www.sabarimala.gov.in), website to publish the personal asset details of ministers (www.pa.kerala.gov.in); website exclusively for All India Service- Kerala (www.gadsplais.kerala.gov.in) and recently launched website exclusively for the government news feed services (keralanews.gov.in)
- Scrutiny of feature films, documentaries and short films either produced or purchased by the department in conformity with the social and cultural interests of the State;
- Organising press conferences of ministers and other officials;
- Issuing of advertisements of various departments to media, payment disbursement for such advertisements; and fixing of advertisement rates for various media through negotiation.
- The department is also entrusted with monitoring of the provisions of Cable TV Act and Press and Registration of Books Act.